Thursday, January 8, 2009

One of the best articles I have ever read

I don't know if any of you on this blog are Mitch Albom fans or not. I have read his books (Five People You Meet In Heaven, Tuesdays with Morrie, One Last Day) and I have enjoyed each of them equally as well (I'm partial to Five People). I don't get the Free Press so I don't necessarily get a chance to read every article he writes, mostly sports. However, this article was brought to my attention this morning. He did a guest spot in Sports Illustrated about the courage of the city of Detroit. How throughout all of the shit that happens, we still cling to hope as a city and, even though we may be missing some of the landmarks and events that caused this city to be so great in the past, we still cling to the hope and the belief that we will be back to that city soon. Read this article and tell me that you disagree with any of it. We don't live in Detroit, but we live in a suburb of it and we hurt as Detroit hurts. I love a lot of things about the city, besides it's parking and crazy streets. I love the sports stadiums that I frequent. I love that we care so much about those involved in our city that we hurt as they hurt (the Konstantinov accident comes to mind).

This is one of the best articles that I have read because I knew exactly where he was coming from with it. Most of the outsiders looking in from other states and Canada would think we were just trying to make them feel bad. You read this article and tell me if you disagree with it.

Happy New Year all, let's hope Mitch is right and this year will be a good one.

2 comments:

Johnny Cottonmouth said...

I did think it was a good article (yes some of us actually read it), although admittedly I think it's too obvious he's a sportswriter and I don't care for that style. Lots of good stuff in there though, thanks for posting Rambo

Hock said...

That was a good article.

I may not like everything about this state, but even when I move to Colorado, Michigan will still be a part of me. It's what I know. It's been the first part of my life. It will never leave.

I will be the only one rooting for the Wings when they play the Avalanche. Hope I have some good medical insurance...haha