Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Where Did My Free Time Go?

I'm in the process of buying a new car, and fuck, my job is making it INCREDIBLY difficult to close the deal. At the same time, its the same job that's giving me the money to be able to buy this car. Catch-22. The dealership I'm buying (maybe) the car from is closed on the weekends and for the next couple of weeks I'm only going to have weekends off. What the fuck? I have to do everything over the phone, which sucks. I guess its doable, but not very easy. This is not a light purchase, I need to be there to figure out everything about the car and make a final say. God dammit.

If you can't tell, I'm pretty ticked off. I'm buying this car because I have this job and a lease doesn't cut it. I got a little help by having Monday (2 days ago) off, but that wasn't enough. I might have this coming Monday off, but that's still up in the air. God, I hope so.

So, this got me thinking how much I DON'T want to do this forever. I just want to get out of the food service industry. It can get so fucking annoying. I know at some point Kiznox and I are planning to own a JJs or two, with the ultimate goal of owning a bar (which are all in the food industry, I know). But, for now, I really want to get away. Take some 9-5 job and have nights and weekends off. Not just weekends. Its cool traveling and all (right now I'm in Orlando and its gorgeous outside), but it wears on you when you want to do something and aren't able to.

I guess really all I want is the ability to take time off. Such as personal time off, sick time, or vacation anytime I want (not when they tell me). But I get no such luxury, because I'm in the food service industry. I don't even have a cap on the hours I work. I'm working about 50 hours per week, which doesn't even include travel. Eventually I'll be able to pretty much make my own hours and work about 35-40 hours per week, but who knows when that will happen. Hopefully before Lollapalooza (if the lineup rocks), so I can actually go (if the lineup rocks).

I don't want to take some mind-numbing job in a cubicle, but I do want to get away from the food service industry. The only problem is that I have no skills or redeeming qualities that would make me a better candidate than the next person. So basically I'm stuck. I'm stuck and I can't wedge my way out. I guess, in this economy, I'm glad I have a decent paying job...or a job period. But, if it was in any other industry, I think I would be happier. Even if it was sucking out my soul. Just for a little while...

1 comment:

Johnny Cottonmouth said...

Honestly... working cubicle jobs was one of the more rewarding things I've done. If you find a good environment, you'd be surprised. Just don't look around in Michigan