Friday, October 3, 2008

Something Extra Special or Nothing Too Fancy

So folks, it is true. I have been to my 23rd Umphrey's McGee show since the glorious band has presented themselves to me in the form of Sweet Sounds Vol. 6. And god damn it, if it doesn't just keep getting better!!

SVG (also known as the mysterious Claudio on the CFuck) and I drove to Kalamazoo to see UM at the beautiful State Theatre. It was an amazing venue: old-timey ceilings and moldings, huge balcony for viewing pleasures, even more seats on the floor (if 'rocking out' isn't your thing), and the standard empty space reserved for general admissions (VIPs in my opinion). SVG and I got there early as a change of pace and stood in line to be let in. After not noticing that there is a separate will-call booth with no line, we finally filed in and got our wristbands and beer (or G&T). We strolled down to the stage and, to my surprise, we had front row seats. Right next to the stage, finally! There was none of that retarded unused space for the bouncers to spot hippie potheads. Just me...touching the stage, where Bayliss would be standing in mere moments. Rock!

There was an opening act. And by opening act, I mean Marsha Stasik. Does that last name ring a bell Umphreaks? (Ryan Stasik is the bass player in UM, for you non-UMers) Stasik's mom did a short 15 minute stand up comedy routine and it wasn't too shabby. Funny stuff making fun of married life, Pony being a stoner in high school, etc. After she ended, the main event came pouring out onto the stage.

They opened up with (the almost predictable) Nothing Too Fancy, jamming out as only they know how to do. But what would Nothing Too Fancy be without it being unfinished (for now) and seguing into a nice little ditty called Push the Pig. Then they played Rocker (Part II) which was a new one to me. It's nice to know that after 23 shows, I am still seeing songs I have never seen before. After a beautiful version of Haji overflowing into the Talking Heads' "Making Flippy Floppy," they ended their set with the second half(?) of Nothing Too Fancy. For those of you keeping score, the set went:

Set I: Nothing Too Fancy > Push the Pig, Rocker (Part II), Hajimemashite > Making Flippy Floppy > Nothing Too Fancy.

It was quite the nice warm-up set.

Set 2 kicked off with a bang when they tore into Miss Tinkle's. They slowed down the jamming and slid nicely into Higgins and then hitting right back into the very end of Miss Tinkle's. They played a very boiled down version of Syncopated Strangers (introduced as "This song is about 12 years old.) The show "ended" with a beautiful sandwich of All in Time with Robot World thrown in. Once again the score:

Set II: Miss Tinkle's Overture > Higgins > Miss Tinkle's Overture, Syncopated Strangers, All in Time > Robot World (with a Stranglehold jam) > All in Time

And finally, the crowd could not be retained anymore as they chanted and yelled for UM to get their asses back on stage because everyone (and I mean everyone) knew they weren't done. They take the stage and kick into two (kinda three) songs I have never seen live and ending with one that I have only seen once.

Encore: The Girl is Mine > Jane Says > The Girl is Mine > Space Funk Booty (very rare) > Believe the Lie

This show was awesome. The jams were solid and the riffs were tight. Kudos, UM. The only disappointment was that some douchebag, who was barely a fan, got Bayliss' setlist and not me. Bullshit.

Great night.....until I got home. I had to pull an all nighter to study for two exams I had the next day. One at 9 am in Advanced Geometry and the other in the afternoon in Complex Analysis. And yes, they are as fun as they sound. So now I am super far behind in sleep and will probably crash any minnnuuuuuuuuuu....................

G-O-E-R-G

2 comments:

Hock said...

I hope you download that set, because it sounds phenomenal! Stranglehold?!, The Girl is Mine, Jane Says, and Miss Tinkle's?!!! I'm sure the rest is just as good.

Anonymous said...

Did you get the UMPH Live by chance? I went, and im still trying to find a recording.