Thursday, July 24, 2008

Here I Am in Life...

I just graduated college, with what seems like no knowledge. I don't feel like I have anything to offer the world, which makes getting a job a bitch. Now, I have been offered a corporate job with JJs, which is awesome...but now I don't know if I want to take it. I don't think I really want a job like that. I need a change of pace.

I went home last weekend and talked to Larry. He brought up that he might join the Navy, which is a huge shocker coming from him. But that got me thinking, why don't I join the military? I know someone in the Navy, and he's been to the other side of the world (not to fight, but to train and such) and he says that the experience is amazing. I think that's what I need right now. I think I need to get away from here. Traveling while getting paid and trained just seems right.

After graduating I thought I would have some discipline and direction, but I'm realizing that I really don't. Joining the military (Air Force, Navy, or Army) could provide me with the direction I need, along with helping me advance my skills and possibly learn a new trade along the way. Since I graduated college, I automatically start off at a higher rank/pay grade, so I have that going for me if I join.

Yeah, I do have a fear of joining and then seeing action, but I do believe that this is something that I need. My mom even told me that I should join. There are so many paths that I can choose after my service is complete that this seems like a good choice for me.

I know you guys have mixed thoughts about the military, but right now I'm about 80% sure I'm gonna do this. I'm gonna try to find an Air Force (the branch that most interests me right now) recruitment center and get as much info as possible. Obviously I'll let you guys know what I ultimately decide, but my decision will probably be within the next couple of months.

Yeah, I bet you were not expecting that one.

5 comments:

Rambo Dakota said...

I told Larry the same thing I'm going to tell you. When my buddy Pat joined the Marines there were a lot of people who tried to persuade him otherwise but I stood by him and said, "If you've thought it through and it is something that you feel you need and want to do, then you will be absolutely fine in the service and you will ultimately be happier and richer for the experience."

I want you guys to be happy and to find that true path that has so far alluded you to this point. Nothing shocks me. When Larry first told me about possibly enlisting, I thought to myself, "this is someone who is stuck in limbo and hasn't really put one foot forward to start a path somewhere." A lot of people make the same decision you guys are doing right now...and you have my support 110%. All my love buddy.

Hock said...

Thanks for your support.

Kiznox said...

...

Claudio said...

Personally if I were to join a branch, it would be the Navy, but just cuz I like the water.

You do have the advantage of the Air Force having the shortest bootcamp period out of all the military branches though. Still, you better start getting in shape buddy boy, cuz my brother-in-law says bootcamp is a bitch.

Hock said...

I figured boot camp would be a bitch no matter what branch I went into.

I prefer the Air Force because I'm not a great swimmer and I'd rather be in the air.