Sunday, December 14, 2008

What the fuck is normalcy?

So I finally graduated college. It may have taken longer than most people (1 semester longer). So, do either of my parents congratulate me? No. Instead, they ask "So, when are you getting a real job?" "I don't want you working in a restaurant all your life." Then my mom proceeds to compare me to my eldest brother, who is apparently the head cook in the prison he is currently incarcerated.

I can only imagine how it will be when (notice I use the word 'when' and not 'if', because I have more faith in myself than my parents do) I do get a job. Will I finally get my "We're so proud of you son!"? or will it be "So, when are you going to get a girlfriend, or get married, or buy a house and start a family?". Well I don't ever want a fucking house, and I'm still unsure of the family thing.

I can't tell if I'll just never be good enough for my parents, or if I'm just living in my brother's "successful" or "normal" shadow (other brother, not the one in prison).

Why does a "normal" life have to consist of a desk job, a house, a yard, kids. That's not what I want, so why the fuck does everyone want that for me?

Well this was just a rant, and I'm done. Man I used a lot of "quotes" in this post.

4 comments:

This guy... said...

First off, welcome to the "blog." It's good to have a fresh voice. And i hear ya on the "normal" thing. You just have to keep your eye on your prize (whatever they may be). Best of luck to you in the real world, and you know I will ALWAYS be there (even if I don't want to be). "Well" "that's" "it" "for" "now" Peace.

Rambo Dakota said...

I second the "nice to have a fresh voice" comment by Goerg but I also want to say that you have to realize that is what a normal life is for THEM. The differences in generations nowadays make it much harder for parents to accept that we are not looking for the same things in life as they are. It's one thing I work on with my folks once in a while as well. You know what you want and they have got to see, one way or the other, that you are going to do what YOU want and need, not what THEY want or think you need.

It is easier to do that you think Claudio. If you have the confidence that you are doing and obtaining everything you want in life, nothing is going to stop you, not even your parents.

Hock said...

1 semester longer? I went a year longer and still didn't get a job in the field I was going for. Shit happens, as long as you get a job (good luck in MI) then you should be happy. I originally went for a degree that would basically get me a desk job, and now I'm pretty glad that I didn't because that would suck. At the moment, I get paid to travel and do about 2 hours of actual work per day. So far it's pretty awesome. So far...

Hey man, you just gotta do your own thing and hope your parents can accept that. I get the "girlfriend" question almost every time I go home, so you can pretty much anticipate that until you get one.

Also, I'm gonna stop here, but before I do...post more you lurker!

Anonymous said...

Scotty, just move down here already ;)