Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Chicago

So I was too busy and then too stoned to write about my weekend til now, but seeing as how my teacher just cancelled my lesson, I have a little bit of free time...

So Chicago was amazing.

I mean, Chicago is always amazing, but this trip in particular was fantastic.

I dropped off Sian at her hotel (she was going for her bachelorette party) and then got to Eric's at around 8:30. We quickly got the festivities under way with a glass of wine and a couple of rounds of beer pong. We eventually heard back from Eric's friend (from whom we were awaiting a call to see his plans) and we all went out to bars.

So I like Spiral and Xcel alright (in terms of gay bars), but I always have SO MUCH FUN bar hopping in Boys town. Even when the last time I went I may have gotten something slipped in my drink. It's always such a social occasion, I meet so many people (for better or for worse) make random friends in bathroom lines, etc. The last bar in particular (that we went to at like 2 in the morning - another plus side of that area is clubs frequently not closing til 4) was a ton of fun - there were a TON of people, everyone dancing to some pretty decent music. It was just excellent.

The next day I slept til around 11:30, and started the morning with mimosas and breakfast burritos (a bit of the hair of the dog to cure my hangover). Eric and I ran a few errands and then went back home. In the meantime, Eric's roommates and a couple of their friends dropped acid. Which was amusing. But made me jealous haha. We watched Mrs. Doubtfire til around 6, which is a fantastic movie by the way, it's way funnier than I remembered it. I also helped Eric begin his own highlighter bottle project, which he was very grateful for. We went to one of his friends from the burbs's place and bought pot, which he promptly smoked us down with to ensure the quality.

It was such a great session. Seriously. This guy is REALLY funny, very genuine, had a 3 foot glass bong with an ice catcher and two percolators which FUCKED ME UP. He threw on some loud music (an album which I have since downloaded by M.I.A. - oh my god I'm starting to like mainstream music - but it was sweet). He then with the music still going played geometry wars. Seriously guys. You need to download it on xbox live. It's free, and as Eric's friend described it it's like "playing the 4th of july". The graphics are sweet despite it being so simple and it's ridiculously intense. My heart was POUNDING just watching him, and the combination of good (non-rap) hip hop in the background and being baked made it AMAZING.

I went home, drank a few vodka tonics and had Eric drop me off at the bar for the concert. It was a small place, which was cool, and the opening act started at around 10:15. His name is Eliot Lipp, another DJ, and I REALLY liked his stuff. He used some of the psychadelic-friendly sounds that I've come to know and love recently and really played a great set. I have since downloaded a few of his albums and enjoyed them quite a bit, although there's really no comparison to him live. He played for about an hour then Bassnectar started. It was fantastic. I sparked up my "special" cigarette during a song I knew and loved (although I can't exactly remember what it was now) and his entire set was awesome - especially the end was sweet. He played for over two and a half hours straight, me dancing pretty much the whole time. Except for when I had to go to the bathroom or get drinks. I don't actually have a ton of recollection of the timeline of the night (I couldn't believe how late it was when I finally checked my watch, it seemed like no time had passed) but at some point I befriended a group of people when this guy who looked like a gay thom yorke (minus the lazy eye) started talking to me and dancing with me. We were probably the only two gay guys there, so it worked haha. I couldn't get a hold of Eric who was out at bars and had left his phone in the car, so I just went with them to an afterparty. Of course Eric called me on the way, and seeing as how I didn't have a key to his apartment and was technically a guest, I decided to leave early. I had to find an atm, hail a cab and remember where I was going, so I finally made it at like 3:30. Eric had passed out like the drunkie he is, so I had to lay on the buzzer til his roommate came down. Whoops.

I woke up the next day at around 10:30, and shortly thereafter left to meet up with Sian and Leah for lunch, then headed on home, very sadly.

A couple thoughts on everything:

I ADORE Chicago. It's one of my favorite places, and I'm strongly considering moving there after my master's. I feel so good there, so at home. I meet people easily (even if a lot of them are through Eric, that's still fine). The people I know are my age or older and still know how to go out and have a good time til all hours of the night. It's like my ideal. Plus, had it not been for the fact that I was still technically visiting an ex, I totally could have gotten laid. Thom Yorke boy wanted me to stay out late, but I had to be good(ish) and head home.

Which brings me to my only concern with the weekend. I have a strange mistrust for Eric when we're out at bars. I don't know why. If he disappears for more than a few minutes, I start thinking he's gone off to hook up with someone or something, which is terribly unfair of me for many reasons. First of all, we've been broken up for years, it's none of my business. Secondly, he wouldn't do that to me, he's a good person. And thirdly, even if he DID find someone to hook up with, I'm sure I could (and probably would) too. It's just this weird feeling - like the two of us are bound to each others' actions. I dunno. I suppose part of it's just residual mistrust from when he called me at 5 in the morning when we were dating to confess that he had made out with someone else (which I immediately forgave him for, even though it did kinda bother me). I really just need to get some. Real bad. Not being able to hit the gym because of rehearsals is also not making me feel good. I just have this weird clingy side I've never noticed before.

Regardless, it was all wonderful. It's nice to feel like you're being noticed. And to feel like you're funny, and that people are happy to have met you. I don't get that feeling down here, and I don't know why (except occasionally at work, but that doesn't really count, and now that I got recruited to electrics, I don't do as much group activity).

Anyway, Cottonmouth out, miss you guys, see you in a few weeks at the wedding!

No comments: