Thursday, September 4, 2008

Professor Cottonmouth

So I'm all started with school now. First off, I basically love my classes. Well, truly I don't really have that many, and Art Song will be annoying because voice majors are annoying and it'll be real boring. But my Italian class is incredible, and besides that I just have lessons, choir, and studio master class.

I taught my first two drill sections yesterday, and sat in on my second lecture this morning at 8 (tuesday and thursday at 8... sick. although class is much more bearable when you don't have to participate ha). And it turns out I'm actually a good teacher. my first section isn't as much fun as the second because the first is mostly music majors who wish they weren't there and I have a senior heckler who's trying to take it as a blow-off and if he keeps pissing me off I'm gonna fail his ass so he doesn't graduate. But my second section is like the most amazing people ever - mostly non-music majors who actually want to learn this material. Three people stayed after class to just chat with me and find out what kinda things I'm into. One thing I had both classes do was write down on their information sheet a few bands/djs/composers/artists they like and I'm going to have music playing every day as class is starting. The second section seemed to be a big fan of this especially, so that'll be fun. I really want the people to take something from this class, and it really feels like my students like me a lot already. Also I had a girl come to my office hours this morning who was struggling with a little bit of the material, and one on one I was able to help her a lot, and she was really thankful.

I had no idea that being an A.I. could be so rewarding. it's incredible.

Miss you guys, have fun at Umphrey's this weekend if you're going, and much love to you all
Cottonmouth out

UPDATE: The first section is now amazing as well. I've never seen a group of people so excited about music theory. It's complete insanity. They've already told me straight up that I'm their favorite teacher this year. One girl who even tested out of the class considered staying in it so I would still be her teacher, apparently... how bout that... And heckler guy likes me a lot too - and was perfectly respectful all day.

1 comment:

Hock said...

Just don't sleep with your students. Or do, that might be fun.