Thursday, November 13, 2008

Top 5 Simpsons Episodes (Season 1)

I told you I would do it and I am. It gives me a chance to watch those episodes that I have not watched in forever and laugh all over again! I noticed that Season 1 really was not as funny as most other years. The show seemed to start on a more solid, dramatic note with most of their episodes. Comedy snuck in there but was not as prominent as it was in later years.

Here are the top 5 episodes of Season 1 and my favorite quote from the episode:

Number 5: "Homer's Odyssey" (Episode 3)

This episode features Homer getting fired from the Power Plant (the first episode for Mr. Burns and Smithers) after causing an accident. He goes on a crusade to create safety throughout the neighborhood and, eventually, is offered a job by Mr. Burns as the Plant's Safety Inspector.

Favorite quote:
"All he does is lie there like an unemployed whale." - Bart

Number 4: "Some Enchanted Evening" (Episode 13)

Here the Simpson children deal with the notorious Babysitter Bandit. Marge and Homer finally get a night out on the town and the kids find out their babysitter is armed and dangerous when they see her picture on TV. Of course, Maggie comes to the rescue and unties/helps them knock her out. When Homer gets back, he lets her go and pays her triple for her trouble. The press questions Homer about his actions.

Favorite quote:
Secretary: "Rubber Baby Buggy Bumper Babysitting Service."
Homer: "Hello, this is Mr. Sampson...I said Sampson, not Simpson."
Secretary: "Thank God! Those Simpsons, what a bunch of savages, especially that big ape father."

Number 3: "Bart the General" (Episode 5)

Nelson is on the warpath after Bart makes him bleed. He is out to ruin Bart's life by constantly beating him up and, despite Homer's teachings, continually is beaten. He enlists the help of Grampa and Herman to launch an attack on Nelson and his cronies. Bart rounds up most of his class and trains them. In the end, they attack Nelson with hundreds of water balloons and tie him up.

Favorite quote:
"Dear Advertisers, I am disgusted by the way old people are depicted on television. We are not all vibrant, fun-loving sex maniacs. Many of us are bitter, resentful individuals who remember the good ole days when entertainment was bland and inoffensive." - Grampa

Number 2: "Moaning Lisa" (Episode 6)

Lisa becomes depressed and begins to decline in her school work. No one seems to be able to make her happy, so she begins to play her saxophone constantly. One night she hears jazz music in the distance and goes to find out where it is coming from. She stumbles upon Bleeding Gums Murphy and they jam together. Lisa is renewed with spirit after making up her own song on the spot. The song is later sung by Murphy in a jazz club as the Simpsons look on.

Favorite quote:
"I've got this bratty brother, he bugs me everyday, and this morning my own mother, gave my last cupcake away. My dad acts like he belongs, he belongs in the zoo. I'm the saddest kid in grade number two." - Lisa

Number 1: "Krusty Gets Busted" (Episode 12)

I love anything with Sideshow Bob (as I'm sure you'll find out). In this classic episode, Bob frames Krusty for a robbery at the Kwik-E-Mart. Bart & Lisa solve the case and Bob is thrown in jail for the first of many times.

Favorite quotes: (I have to pick two, both involving Apu)
Sideshow Bob (as Krusty): "Hand over all your money in a paperbag."
Apu: "Yes, I know the procedure for armed robbery, I do work in a convenience store you know."

Apu: "Hey, hey! This is not a lending library. If you're not going to buy that thing put it down or I'll blow your heads off." (to Bart and Lisa...I laughed for like two minutes after I heard this one again).

Next up...Season 2!

No comments: