Tuesday, July 24, 2007

I can't get back to sleep

So I'm already awake at 7:30 because my dad is on a conference call in the next room, and he's a deaf old man so he has it on speakerphone on the loudest setting. So I'm posting

Karaoke is an interesting affair. Last night was definitely the most painful of the nights we heard, but there were some really good people. The main thing I've always wondered is this: I consider myself to be a talented singer. But put me up on stage with the words in front of me, and it is usually a disaster. I did manage to not make a TOTAL ass of myself singing "Your Woman" by whitetown, but come on eileen was awful (I TOLD Scott I didn' know any of the words to the verses, but did he listen? No...).
A plea to sorostitute types who do karaoke. If you're unwilling to sing a song by myself, you will not end up singing better with your two best girlfriends. Having three people in the group and holding a mike does not make you the dixie chicks - chances are, if you're completely tone-deaf, throwing your two best tone-deaf friends in the mix will likely not turn out so well. I don't mean to be totally elitist, but if I have to hear another group of people caterwauling in the completely wrong key I might start punching babies.
Speaking of punching babies, highlight of last night: The approximately six-year-old child that was just running loose in the bar. Our pal Phil managed to scare him out of where he was hiding with his karaoke stylings, and so out of nowhere, a little kid went running through the bar. Little children in completely inappropriate places makes me happy. Hell, my dad used to take us out to the pub after his rugby games all the time. Then my sister hit puberty and his team-mates started making comments so it wasn't family pub time anymore. Also I'm pretty sure people got really drunk and started acting completely inappropriately. Ah those were the days...
So back to karaoke. Basically my problem is this: every popular song from the last 40 years or so is part too high for me to sing. What's with that? Whatever happened to crooners like Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin? I mean I love Incubus, but if Brandon Boyd sings any higher on his next cd, he might break the sound barrier. Can anybody honestly sing along to the refrain of dig without singing completely falsetto? I mean it's goregeous, but I know girls who wouldn't feel comfortable singing up there. I'll have to get real drunk for that concert. This thursday - fuck yeah!

PS Brandon Boyd, you are still the love of my life regardless of the fact that I could never dream of singing the notes you can hit.

Guitar Hero 80s edition comes out today. I'll have to con one of my ps2-owning friends into buying it. I have to admit, a few more well-known songs would have been appreciated (I still can't believe they didn't put on my sharona. That song rocks) but it'll be nice to maybe play a few different tracks. I'm just waiting for GH3. Although I'm not buying it because I don't want to be a lazy shit this year at school.

Continuation from last night: being stoned and listening to NIN is fucking awesome. I got the new album (which is amazing) and the remastered edition of The Downward Spiral, a cd I can't believe I haven't bought yet. It's so angry and vulgar I just can't help but feel great when singing along. My new favorite quote (from I Do Not Want This):

I want to know everything
I want to be everywhere
I want to fuck everyone in the world
I want to do something that matters

I mean, there's no question, that is really fucking hot. It's intense, aggressively egotistical, and it's the type of thought you have when that little devil pops up on your shoulder and you smile to yourself for knowing that the human mind is capable of being so dark and arrogant. Trent Reznor is the man.

No comments: