Friday, July 27, 2007

One man's opinion

Incubus was fucking sick last night. I would even go as far as to say the concert far exceeded my expectations, which is impressive considering I am madly in love with the band and think everything they do is genius anyway. They rocked a lot of their new stuff, but then really impressed me by busting out old, random songs that I never thought I'd hear at this concert - Nebula and Vitamin off of SCIENCE (!), and an absolutely amazing The Warmth. Also I thought I might have a heart attack during Pistola which is one of my favorite songs. And if I heard Brandon Boyd right (which may or may not have been the case) I think we heard a world premiere song last night.

There are a lot of bands that need to step up to this level. Besides the fact that it was just a tad short for my liking (I'm wicked spoiled because of Bonnaroo) this was essentially a perfect concert, and especially, a perfect album tour concert - of course play a bunch of new tunes to promote the cd, but then mix it up and play something for everyone. Jam out when you get the chance. Realize that if people are paying fifty dollars to hear you play, that it doesn't matter if you are playing exactly what they heard on the album, or if you're playing, say, a bad-ass cover of Stand By Me. Incubus is a rare gem of a band that has been able to maintain their musical integrity despite having become alt-pop Gods. We've all heard Wish You Were Here a trillion times and it annoys us when stupid ditzy girls say it's their favorite Incubus song, but despite its rampant popularity, it is still just a great tune.

Another real bonus last night was the crowd. First off, eye candy as far as the eye could see. But not only that - people were REALLY cool. Passing around joints and my batty, talking and making new friends around us, dancing when we felt the need. Even the people that parked near us became our friends, which is damn good considering I'm a retard and wore out my battery listening to NIN while waiting to leave DTE. But the people who were near us when we first set up camp in the parking lot were already offering to assist in a jump before we even had the chance to ask. Every once in a while you have a night that really reaffirms your faith in humanity and life in general. Last night was one of them. :)

Let's keep this up!!! Let's make 311 just as amazing! I'ma gonna get shit-faced!

No comments: