Wednesday, June 13, 2007

And now for a quick summary...

But only if you come to terms with the fact that quick generally means long-winded.

I am back from the wedding and back from the few days I was without computer access. So how about an inside look into my wonderful life since then?

(and bullet points are just keen)

Friday
  • Arrived in Albany, NY fairly unscathed but exhausted from the flight and the constant rushing around airports. The 7 minutes that I had to get to my next flight were rough, as the gate that I needed to get to was roughly further away from me than my graduation date.
  • Decided, around noon, that Ipods are the greatest fucking invention ever. Also, wondered why the hell my phone does not have the same battery life.
  • Went to the tux shop. Fuck the tux shop. I hated those bitches. Somehow, it would seem, that my neck being a 15 1/2 dictates that I have a shirt with the chest and abdominal measurements of a sumo wrestler or possibly a manatee. And heaven forbid I ask for something that might fit me a little better! The charcoal weary eyes of the woman behind the counter instantly shifted from the daze only held by someone contemplating suicide or a handy rampage through her place of employment to a severely fiery "fuck you, and fuck no am I going to waste my precious time looking for a better fitting shirt you out of town fuck." Its true, though, NY really has gotten friendlier.
  • Played softball at a gorgeous park near my brother's cottage. Played well, actually. The Cox on Cox battle that was my brother pitching with me swinging brought me 2 doubles, 4 base hits, and 5 RBIs. Beautiful. Until my brother dislocated his left shoulder on the last swing of the game, which was caught by our second basemen. Oddly enough, it was our third basemen who had a medical background and was able to pop it back into place.
  • The rehearsal was great. In fact, it was how I would hope any rehearsal would go for a wedding. Yes, all of the boring parts were included. "Stand here" and "read this when they announce this" and all of us felt shamed into wearing suits. So there we stood, the wedding party, outside in 90 degree weather, sweating our balls off, fighting off flies that love sweat oh so much, with BEER AND NOT COMPLAINING. And that is how you know you have a superb wedding planner.
  • Dinner was interesting. It mostly consisted of appetizers and beer. Though, when I tried to order a Bud Light, the woman looked at me like I was absolutely crazy. What did they have on tap? Pipi's, (and no, not the Longstocking) Kell's, (a decent draft, but a tad bit irony) and DogFishead Ale, (which tastes exactly how it sounds)
  • Then my brother and his wife asked that everybody tell stories about them. Fucking great idea. I loved it. Everyone was drunk, the stories were truly amazing and so well told, and it did not take four hours of the wedding the next day.

Saturday

  • After having slept on the most comfortable couch ever, I woke with a supremely disappointing headache, a dry mouth rivalling sandpaper and cotton, and no clue as to where the hell I had placed my glasses.
  • The Wedding party assembled at the Inn for pictures around noon. Drinking commenced almost immediately. Billiards were also played.
  • The wedding photographer was amazing. I have no idea how they found him, but I can only imagine that the two of them followed a rainbow to his home. This man, no taller than a bar stool, danced around more merrily than any leprechaun I have ever imagined.
  • The wedding itself was gorgeous, and my quick moment reading a Maya Angelou poem went as smoothly as it could have gone. Interestingly enough, staring at the crowd really helped more than I thought it would have. Probably because I was nearly drunk and my brother has some really beautiful friends.
  • And the reception. Oh the reception. The bar was open, the food was a delicious buffet, the bride and groom were swooning over each other, the bar was open, my mother was having a great time and actually danced, the bar was open, my brother gave a rousing speech that I hope to someday rival, the women were amazing, the bar was open, and everything was wonderful.
  • I made out with a fucking beautiful Asian. Thank you, Jesus.
  • The bar was open.

Sunday

  • Another day of car rides, waiting, and plane trips. I spent roughly 5 hours at the airport in Albany before my flight took off. Not because the flight was delayed, but because my ride to the airport was driving and wanted to get as much time in on the road as possible.
  • Another moment where I say the Ipods are the greatest invention ever. And hooray for their battery life.
  • Cell phones are also a great thing to have. Especially when one is increasingly bored and looking for something to do. Friends are also helpful, even though we all know that nobody wants to talk to an energetic and impatient Me.
  • After landing in Chicago I made my way toward the next gate. This time I was at the airport for 2 or 3 hours....and this time it was because the fucking flight was delayed.
  • I arrived at Metro at 1am. The flight attendant had told me that we would not be arriving until 130am. Consequently, my friends who were coming to pick me up were planning for a 140ish-am curbside pick-up. Fuck you, United flight attendant. Thanks for the screw up that allowed for me to sit on a dirty curb for 40 minutes waiting for my ride.
  • I finally got home. And I realized that I had never wanted to leave.

So that was my trip. I come home legally bound to an Italian family, and able to put a partial check mark on my Asian to-do list.

Reflecting on the whole situation, I am pretty happy and impressed with weddings. It always seems to be the best day of the Bride and Grooms lives...and I can see why.

No comments: