Thursday, June 14, 2007

So I cannot sleep...

That's right, I cannot fucking sleep. Wish I could, because then I would not have to write a completely useless and uninteresting post.

I was just outside a few minutes ago looking at the sky and contemplating life when a nice breeze fluttered through my porch. Really, no big deal, until the chimes started to ring. It was an ominous, steady ring. A slow and almost unnerving tempo that sent shudders down my spine and forced my gaze toward the long tubes of unforgiving steal ringing in the night sky. They rang, and the wind slowed down, and yet they continued to ring as the pendulum built momentum with each pass. I stood and walked out into the street. The moon is silver tonight. I could not help but think of a wise and ancient man when I stared into its hollow eyes. They sky, peppered with a never ending supply of white-hot specks, tilted into a silver blackness that I have not seen in a long time. I stood in the street for what seemed like hours. The wind picked back up, somehow wrestling me back to reality, and I slowly meandered back towards the house. The chimes were ringing. The doorknob was cold as I turned it to venture inside. Sometimes I believe that all the answers lie in the blackness of the sky. Sometimes I truly wonder if there is more to the darkness than an absence of light. I think, perhaps, that in this space, in the moment from sunset to sunrise, there is an answer to every question that could ever be asked. Yet, however hard we scour the night, we are unable to grasp these answers. It seems that some answers are destined to elude humanity forever, for we are unable to see through the darkness and find what is truly in the unknown. And the chimes kept ringing, and the wind kept breezing, and the moment was captured in my mind.

So now, with that in print and the abstract completely lost on myself, I retire to bed and attempt to fall into a dream state.

Goodnight, moon.

No comments: