Monday, August 27, 2007

"Anthem for the Underdog" Album Review

Anthem for the Underdog
That's right! For all of you 12 Stones fans out there they have finally released their next album, the first one since 2004's "Potter's Field," and it is definitely turned out to be much better than I anticipated compared to the previous album. Let's take a look at the songs and show you every reason why you should buy this album today. Overall I am so happy with this album I feel it is their best one to date and really do enjoy listening to most every song on this album.

1. Anthem for the Underdog
Not my favorite song of the new album, especially seeing as how it is the title track of the album. The song just doesn't seem to flow very well with the drums and guitars at times but the song could be one that grows on me one day, but not yet.

2. Lie To Me
This is the first single off of the new album and it gave me all the reasons to look forward to the album's release. The guitar opening sucks you in and Paul McCoy's voice takes over the track like many of the other songs they have recorded. I guarantee you will be singing this song out loud once you get this CD.

3. Broken Road
My absolute favorite song on the entire album! This is the definition of a ballad, especially that of a rock ballad. There are several of those on this album but when you hear McCoy sing: "Now you're gone I've moved on and I don't feel so sorry. Can't you see I'm bleeding but I won't bleed anymore. I've held on for so long now but I had to let you go...at the end of our broken road" you kinda just stop to listen. I say that because that's what I did the first time I listened to this song while shaving one day. I stopped because the chorus just struck me and I stopped to listen to the rest of the song. Instant 12 Stones classic for me.

4. Adrenaline
A pretty hard rocking song but it somehow seems out of place on this album. It speaks of hearts beating faster, 45 minutes of love, and not being able to control feelings...you'd think sex huh? Not really one that will end up on a "Best of 12 Stones" playlist...at least not in my book.

5. It Was You
Here is the second ballad found on the album and has slowly but surely become one of my favorite 12 Stones songs. I think the most important part of the song is the message. We all look for someone in our lives that we can look at and say: "It was you that showed me who I am and taught me how to stand for what I know is real...I've become what I am because of you. It was you."

6. This Dark Day
A great song about overcoming addiction. From reading about what the band has said about this song it is not so much about personal demons with it but with the fact that people talk about addiction but not many people talk and sing about physically overcoming it. When will you make it through your darkest day? It doesn't even have to be addiction related. When will you make it through that day that you struggle to get through but know that you will come out so much better than when the day started?

7. World So Cold
This song is so relative to current times that is has been featured on a YouTube video relating to the Virginia Tech shootings. The song is defined simply by reading these lyrics: "What kind of world do we live in, where love is divided by hate, losing control of our feeling, we all must be dreaming this life away, in a world so cold." Just read the lyrics and you will know what I mean and it will make you want to hear the song.

8. Arms of a Stranger
A song about coming home to see your loved one in the arms of someone else. For anyone who's ever been cheated on 12 Stones tends to sum up just how you feel and what goes through your head when you find out. "When will I break into pieces? It's your mistake, I finally see that. Everything I thought was you was a lie. Now you left love dying, it's in the arms of a stranger."

9. Hey Love
Another ballad found on this album, one that has also become quite the favorite song of mine to listen to. A song about finding that one person who you will love and spend all those memorable times with. It is sung with such sincerity at times that you can almost feel the hurt and want in the voice of McCoy.

10. Games You Play
A tolerable song, not a marvelous one by any means but catchy at the same time. Who don't we know in our lives that play games with us, especially selfish ones? I'm sure you can think of a few people and relate to this song.

No comments: