Thursday, August 30, 2007

I hope this allays your homophobia fears, Rambo

Yeah... That free press article is complete trash. The fact that it is the most popular free press article online is embarassing. And yes, Rambo, you're right. It seems like the article is simply a way to link the gay community specifically to Harrington - even the headline "Gay fans back Joey Harrington in Atlanta" has implications that could be misconstrued if one did not read the article (of course, the Free Press will deny this because they specifically mention he is married in the article).

Outsports is a web magazine designed for homosexuals who also enjoy sports, gay athletes, and the ways in which the gay community and sports community work together. If anything, the free press article offends me as a gay man. What exactly are they trying to imply? I've got news for you - a lot of athletes are really hot. And a lot of gay men like athletic guys.

Therefore...

Gay men are likely to find a good looking football player attractive, and support them, no matter who it is. Would you ever write an article about how women find a new addition to a team attractive and give him their support? No. You wouldn't. And why? Here lies the very core of homophobia:

Because when women find a good looking guy attractive, it's more "normal."

Seriously. I'm not a big sports fan, but I watch with friends, and daresay, when I am (and I'm actually paying attention) I get really into it (none of you have ever been around me during a World Cup game when England is playing... it can get a little intense). And yes, considering I am ATTRACTED TO MEN I notice when they are good looking. Does the free press really think that the number of male viewers of tennis matches increases when Anna Kournikova is playing because they admire her skill and technique?

What's even more infuriating to me? The entire article portrays homosexuals as the bad stereotype people think of them as, instead of in the way that Outsports wants them to be viewed. The people they quote essentially say "Gays like football now because we want to stare at the hot guys." Anyone who remembers my ex-bf Spencer will agree with me when I say it is not impossible for a gay man to be your normal, athletic, jock-ish guy.

The whole article is just a way to falsely sensationalize a topic that is not news.

and for fuck's sake do you blame gays (and probably a great deal of women) for finding him attractive? I think he's a good looking guy, he's a jazz pianist in his free time, and he apparently is very charming in interviews - what's not to like about that? But that does not mean I'm all of the sudden going to become an Atlanta Falcons fan in order to grab a chance to get a peek at him from 500 ft away in the nosebleed section of the stadium.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, very interesting post, greetings from Greece!