Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Wedding Blues

So obviously I'm really pumped for my sis's wedding - it's gonna be a blast.

But honestly I'm a little aggravated that my mom just told me that their idea to buy me a desk is now on hold til christmas because they spent all of their money on her wedding. I realize that weddings are very expensive, and I would not expect that they would spare any expense for hers, but my mom basically told me "the vacuum cleaner, toaster, kettle and microwave I got you basically cleaned us out."

I don't know if my mom has ever met me before, but I would MUCH rather have a desk that I could use so my spare room didn't look like a trash heap as opposed to having numerous appliances that I will probably not use very much. She bought me a bunch of stuff that I didn't really need because she just kept mentioning it to me. If I had realized that they were strapped for cash, I wouldn't have asked for them. Because frankly, I'm pretty much flat broke right now, and if something goes really wrong with my loan or anything, I'm up shit creek without a paddle because I officially have nowhere to turn.

I've never really understood the whole obsession with spending so much money on celebrations. With a growing number of couples splitting up these days, you'd think we'd move away from spending thousands upon thousands of dollars for one night. It's the same thing with grad parties - outside of this country they don't understand graduation parties. "Congratulations! You were competent enough to complete secondary education!"

I get a little aggravated with the whole wedding situation anyway, because I wish my sister would stop talking to me about it like I'll go through the same thing at some point. Of course my parents will give her anything she wants for it, because as much as I'm sure my mom doesn't want to think about it, it's the last time that our family is going to have to worry about a wedding to pay for.

2 comments:

Rambo Dakota said...

When you talk of graduation parties though, it's not so much about the secondary education crap, it's about the "you are off to an expensive fucking place called college and we're proud you got in so we'll help you with the gift of money" kinda thing

Kiznox said...

Never had a grad party...never quite understood them either. I have fun at them, but I dont think that they are necessary.

Besides, cant people just mail you a check if they are going to give you money? I would so have taken that over a party.