Tuesday, September 25, 2007

The Men Make The Band

My first review shall be of one of the most prolific new albums to come out in a really long time. The album is "Cex Cells" by Blaqk Audio. How about a little background?

Blaqk Audio is two men, Davey Havok and Jade Puget. If you know me at all, I am in love with AFI. These two men make up half of the most talented classic-punk-rawk-turned-new-age-dark-rock band. The entire CD was written and produced by the two. Davey Havok wrote and sang all the lyrics and Jade wrote and performed all the programming and mixing. They blend their ever changing influences like Depeche Mode, Nine Inch Nails, and The Cure into a beautiful rock/techno/trance/dance album. Maybe I should preface this review by saying that a lot of Davey Havok lyrics are left up to interpretations. What I may say that i have taken out of songs should not be taken as "the answer" by any means. He has said in many interviews (in reference to AFI lyrics) that he makes the lyrics seem to not make sense because he wants the listener to get what they NEED out of a song and not what he WANTS them to. Let's break this master piece down.

Track 1: "Stiff Kittens"
The opening track happens to also be their single and in my opinion, chosen quite right. It has a very catchy hook (like most of the songs). His voice echoes on the chorus with lines like "How it breaks their heart that we have made an art out of desecrating our sanctuaries." But what sold the song for me was the line in the first chorus. "If its just the same dear, then why have you left beore "forever"?" It is quite the far cry from AFI's opus "Sing The Sorrow," which talked of death for most of the album.

Track 2: "Between Breaths (an XX Perspective)"
This song doesn't do it for me. It is oft the song that I skip. If you are a Nine Inch Nails fan, then i would imagine this song will tickle you quite pink (if NIN fans can turn pink). It's dark and repetitive and will send a chill down your spine at high volumes. Plus, I'm not a fan of whisper singing.

Track 3: "Snuff on Digital"
Disturbing title, yes? Killer song. Starts with a basic techno intro (ya know, the ump-dat-ump-dat), and excels into a gorgeously dance-y track. It has a beautiful message stemming from an undying love. This also showcases a trend happening in Davey's lyrics (starting on AFI's DecemberUnderground) talking of high lights in the sky and city skylines. For me, the music really captivates the message Havok lays down with major keys (is this true, Cottonmouth?) when the thoughts in the lyrics pick up in tone. Kudos, Blaqk Audio!

Track 4: "Bitter For Sweet"
Killer opening groove! (could i be more of a hippie with that comment) Continues right into a great boppin' song. "Would you save my life if you knew this was the last time?" What a wonderfully beautiful hook. Listen to this song, enjoy this song. One thing i dislike about this song is the fact Davey had to add in his own "Minute-and-a-half-talking-with-no-music" that he has used on numerous projects. Meh.

Track 5: "Where Would You Like Them Left?"
Upon first listen of this album, this song stood out beyond all others. It depicts the struggle of a relationship between two, one of which has put in much more than the other. Example, the chorus: "Strip for me as I have stripped for you, we've got nothing to hide and i've got less to lose." It keeps a solid beat through the whole thing with a snare and bass drum holding it down. Good for rockin' out with you cock out whent he chorus hits.

Track 6: "The Fear of Being Found"
This song bores me. There's one on every album, folks. It's the "slow one." But don't count FOBF out, the chorus is angelic at the very least. "Could I change one thing? Could I change your mind? Shall we burn it, just like the last time." The sheer beggin in his voice makes me weep.

Track 7: "On A Friday"
Davey treads dangerously close to whisper singing at the beginning, but saves it. To me this song represents a man asking for more from his partner, it's too safe of a relationship ro be happy. "Oh my love, where's the danger? All my life I'm dancing with strangers." The break down does a great job of keeping the listener's attention but not continuing the story with just a refrain of "All my life (sing!)" Decent.

Track 8: "The Love Leter"
Seemingly to be a softer song, by the intro but quickly launches into a dark and sinister chorus. A song about despair and being invisible to another. "If we meet, please avert your eyes." A very up-and-down song. Energetic dark choruses blended with softer piano verses. Any the bridge? A great combination of the both. Dark music + softer music + build-up = trez magnifique!

Track 9: "Semiotic Love"
My personal favorite. I can't say much about this album and reference much without putting down every single lyrics from the first line to the last. The music belongs in a club with helps when you are ridiing in a car alone and want to scream a unified refrain. Do it, it's freeing. "...Hooked on a star, enraptured by the sky, I'm in love with a satelite." Perfect. Don't get me started on the bridge, "I'll stare forever and love whatever breaks my heart." It really makes me believe on what a high pedistal we hold our loved ones. Love you guys, you crazy satelites.

Track 10: "Cities of the Night"
Verse tends to be a little on the boring side but the chorus saves it, along with the programming inserts done by the one and only Jade. "Wait for a heart that never lies." Ain't that the truth.

Track 11: "Again, Again, and Again"
Get your dance shoes on people and I'll meet you in the middle of the floor fools. "What'll take for you to surrender?" A song for the ages through and through.

Track 12: "Wake Up, Open The Door, and Escape to the Seas"
The closing track dissappoints only for a moment. It is a wonderfully heartfelt song (like most of the album) that Davey opens his heart for a pours out to paper of the harship of wanting to continue someething that is already torn to shreds. "Oh my, you're oh so sly, let's leave unsaid what's left unspoken and oh, my boy you're oh so coy, let's just pretend that nothings broken."

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

There are a few bonus tracks that have accompanied a few versions of the record. When i bough the CD, I received "Mute" and it ended up being one of my favorite songs on the record. So here it is:

Bonus Track: "Mute"
Blow the dust off of those glowsticks ravers and let's dance! "Scream through dreams that cut your voice off! Wide awake, will nothing soothe? With one word I'll take this pain from you, but I fall mute!"

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Why are you still sitting there reading this dribble? Go out and buy "Cex Cells" by Blaqk Audio, a glorious masterpiece made just for you by these two geniouses from AFI.

---G-O-E-R-G

No comments: